Sunday, February 19, 2012

Coptic Binding




So I finished my first Coptic binding in my bookbinding class! I think it turned out pretty nice :) At a second-hand store, I bought a history book about dance and tore out some lovely prints to use on my cover.

The front is a costume concept and the back is an early attempt at dance notation. I had to dye the back cover sheet to make the colors match the front. For the dye, I used water, vanilla extract, and chamomile honey tea. I set it in a plastic container overnight with some parts sticking out of the water for a more aged effect. I then took out the sheet and left it on a towel to dry while I went to classes. When I came home, it was completely dry and I was able to cut and paste it to the back cover-board. The rest of the book was pretty straight-forward. 
The sewing was difficult at first, but quickly my hands grew accustomed to the repetative movement- in and out of the signatures, back and forth. I did the sewing while I watched the 2009 movie, The Secret of Kells. I really enjoyed the movie. The textures that come out through the bright color and line-work of the animation were lovely and pushed the storytelling to a higher plane of aesthetic. PLUS it is all about the making of a beautiful and magical book. How appropriate! You really should watch it!!






1 comment:

Diantha French said...

Brilliant idea! Bookbinding is so much fun and yours turned out so well:)